Due to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis many of Rhode Island’s restaurants are trying to promote their online ordering and take out, and even moving to take out only. This page will attempt to be updated regularly with links to their ordering page or menu and phone numbers when online isn’t available. Looking for local brewed [….]
- Main Event
March 30, 2020
The Hot Wing Eating Competition and Feisty Food Expo are postponed due to the COVID-19 crisis. We will be in contact shortly about credit card refunds. Thank you and watch for a new date!
Do you think you have what it takes to compete in the hottest wing eating competition to fire up New England?
Competing in the New England Hot Wing Competition at the West Warwick Civic Center on April 4th costs $25 and includes ten wings with competition level hot sauce prepared by JC’s Butcher Shop with Pepper Junction and Ocean State Pepper Co., one thirst quenching beer from Narragansett Beer and one 12 oz. hot sauce cooling milk from Wright’s Dairy Farm & Bakery. Main Event competition hot sauce will range from approximately 500,000 – 750,000 Scoville units!
The first contestant to finish all ten wings, according to competition judging rules (see full rules below), will win a pair of Super VIP Tickets to the NYC Hot Sauce Expo plus a seat on the Stage of Doom for The Death Wing Challenge, a national eating competition, on April 18th (travel not included, tickets a $200 value). Even if you can’t eat all the wings there will be runner-up prizes and more!
The Feisty Food Expo at the West Warwick Civic Center on April 4th from 2-6 p.m. is free and open to the public to come eat, drink, shop and cheer on the New England Hot Wing Competition eaters. Tell your friends and family to join in, even if they can’t handle the heat! Expo vendors will have all kinds of food & drink items, not only spicy/heat-based. Vendors will be listed on Facebook.
Although this event is featured as a hot wing challenge make no mistake about it, this is, foremost, a chicken wing eating competition. The first contestant finished wins! You, the contestant will be judged on both the quantity of wings consumed and the amount of chicken meat remaining on the bones, or the lack thereof. With participation in this contest the following rules will apply:
- This amateur eating competition is open to anyone who is 18 years of age or older.
- Any competitor with a serious ailment or serious health condition may not participate.
- Participants may not leave their designated eating area during the contest or will be disqualified. Sitting or standing within that space is permitted.
- This is a no contact sport. Participants will be disqualified for touching another participant during the contest.
- Your goal is to consume as much skin and flesh from the bone as humanly possible; You are prohibited from stripping the meat from the bone. You must eat the meat directly from the bone.
- You are prohibited from removing any sauce from the chicken wing. You must consume the chicken wing as is.
- You are prohibited from using any napkins, paper towels, or clothes, or any material to wipe away the sauce from your skin specifically your face and/or fingers.
- You are prohibited from wearing any protective gloves or using utensils.
- Competitors may not touch the wing basket or wings in the basket before the contest begins. Competitors must place each and every finished chicken wing bone back in the wing basket. Failure to place wing bones back into the basket will result in disqualification.
- You are prohibited from consuming any liquids, foods or any substance during the contest other than the wings presented for the challenge. This means, no water, no beer, no milk, no crackers, no sauces, no ice cream, and absolutely do not eat your shirt at any point during the contest.
- Any contestant will be disqualified for vomiting or regurgitating at any point during the contest until the winner is declared.
- Any violation to any of the above rules will be automatic disqualification from the contest.
- (For qualifying round) Once the time expires the contestant must set down any wing(s) in hand. The Contestant is allowed to swallow whatever bite is in their mouth.
- (For qualifying round) After all your wings are consumed there will be a two minute cool down period where all the rules set forth above still apply.
- All rules stated here within will be enforced at the discretion of the competition judges. All decisions by judges are final.
- March 30, 2020
The Feisty Food Expo and Hot Wing Eating Competition are postponed due to the COVID-19 crisis. We will be in contact shortly about credit card refunds. Thank you and watch for a new date!
On Saturday, April 4th from 2 – 6 p.m. at the West Warwick Civic Center at 100 Factory St. in West Warwick, Eat Drink RI, JC’s Butcher Shop, Ocean State Pepper Co. and Pepper Junction present the Feisty Food Expo & New England Hot Wing Competition. Come sell your wares at the biggest local food, drink & artisan market in West Warwick!
The Feisty Food Expo is part of the New England Hot Wing Competition with a partnership with the NYC Hot Sauce Expo and beverage sponsors Narragansett Beer and Wright’s Dairy Farm & Bakery. You do not need to sell a hot sauce or spicy-related product to be a vendor—all are welcome. However, if you have something that brings some heat, please let us know. Details on the public competition can be found on the competitor registration page (coming soon).
Please review the Expo details and vendor requirements below before registering and sending credit card payment by clicking the ADD TO EVENT CART button above or below.
SETUP: The Expo is held in the open Thomas A. Lamb Memorial Field House. You are responsible for the entirety of your table or display. A pop-up canopy can be used, though since we are indoors it isn’t a requirement.
LICENSING: All vendors must carry all applicable tax and sales permits and appropriate licensing from the RI Department of Health (if selling consumables).
CERTIFICATION & FOOD SAFETY: Vendors must maintain all appropriate Town and State licenses for their type of goods or food products, provide copies of such to Eat Drink RI and have licenses in their booth at all times. Vendors that serve any food samples that are not prepackaged must comply with state laws and regulations related to food service. Requirements include wearing of plastic gloves and providing a waste receptacle if sampling food.
All product labeling shall be truthful and accurate and adhere to the requirements set forth by the State of Rhode of Island. Any claims, such as organic, pesticide-free, origin, gluten-free, free range, sugar-free, etc. must be substantiated. Any intentionally false claims shall be cause for immediate removal from the Expo.
PREPARED FOODS: Prepared foods must be licensed by the Rhode Island Department of Health. All sampling must follow safe food handling guidelines. For any vendors providing prepared food, we require a copy of your food safety documents at the Expo.
WEATHER POLICY: This is an indoor market so short of severe emergency weather conditions, there will be no cancellation. Cancellation of a market due to severe weather is decided solely by Eat Drink RI. Vendors shall be notified via email or phone prior to Expo set-up time. No refunds will be given.
INDEMNIFICATION: Vendor shall indemnify and hold harmless Eat Drink RI from and against any and all liability, claims, demands, damages, expenses, fees, fines, penalties, suits, proceedings, actions and costs of actions (including all attorney’s fees), of any kind or nature arising out of or in any way connected with this Agreement or Vendor’s use of the space(s), sale of goods or conduct of business by Vendor, its agents, servants, employees, customers, patrons or invitees or any act or omission of Vendor, its agents, servants, employees, customers, patrons or invitees. Vendor is responsible for all monies collected from the sale of Vendor’s goods. Eat Drink RI is in no way responsible for any lost or stolen monies or items. This Agreement shall be construed in accordance with the laws of Rhode Island without regard to conflict of law principles and venue for any action arising from this Agreement shall be in Kent County, Rhode Island. This Agreement may not be modified or amended except by a writing signed by the parties.
Vendor’s payment of $65 fee indicates that Vendor has read and understands the above Feisty Food Expo & New England Hot Wing Competition Policies and Procedures and that any violation of such may result in loss of Expo rental privileges. Vendor acknowledges that such Policies and Procedures may be amended from time to time and agrees to abide by the terms of any such amendments if Vendor continues to vend at the Feisty Food Expo & New England Hot Wing Competition.
News Bites: Food Bank Launches Summer Food Drive / Summer at Newport Vineyards / Six Farmers Markets Opening in JulyPublished on :
Updates on current local food and drink news in Rhode Island featuring: Food Bank Launches Summer Food Drive / Summer at Newport Vineyards / Six Farmers Markets Opening in July