The Taste Trekkers Food Tourism Conference begins next Friday, September 21st. If you haven’t gotten your ticket yet, Eat Drink RI has received a discount code for $15 off a ticket to Saturday’s events at the Providence Biltmore. The code to use is eatdrinkri or you can follow this link to purchase tickets and the code will be entered for you.
For all the information on this three-day Food Tourism Conference, please read the below release with all of the event information.
Nation’s First Food Tourism Conference, Taste Trekkers, Coming to Providence
Friday September 20th – Sunday September 22nd, 2013
Providence is set to host the nation’s first food tourism conference, Taste Trekkers, from Friday, September 20th through Sunday, September 22nd, 2013. The conference will unite travelers with a specific passion for food and culinary adventures. Tickets start at $65 and are available now at http://tastetrekkers2013.eventbrite.com.
The three-day conference will take place in downtown Providence, the city ranked #1 for Food/Drink/Restaurants in Travel + Leisure’s “America’s Favorite Cities 2012.” The weekend will feature keynote speaker, Matt Jennings of Providence’s Farmstead, Inc. In addition to being a two-time James Beard Foundation Best Chef Northeast nominee, Jennings is also known as “Providence’s Pied Piper of Cheese” and “Prince of Pork” for his knowledge of cheese and charcuterie., Jennings has also earned national recognition as one of “Most Sustainable Chefs in America,” in part due to the development of Providence’s Trace and Trust program.
Additional highlights of the conference include:
Breakout sessions, featuring topics:
- From Farm and Fisherman to Table
- New England Lamb Butcher Demo
- Peruvian Cerviche and Causa Limena
- Taste the Terroir of American Honey
- Dry-cured for Three Generations: A Family’s Journey in Charcuterie
- Durham, North Carolina: Integrity Tastes Good
- Memphis: BBQ and Beyond
- New England: Yo Ho Ho and a Bottle of Rum!
- Before there were Food Trucks, there were Lunch Wagons
- The Chocolate of Madagascar
- The Story of Vermont Ice Cider: A Tasting and Pairing
Panel Discussion: Food Tripping: Culinary Tourism Today and Tomorrow, hosted by Gail Ciampa, Food Editor of the Providence Journal. Featuring speakers:
- Danielle Brodhagen, Director of Product Development, Ontario Culinary Tourism Alliance
- Jose Duarte, Owner and Chef, Taranta Restaurant
- Cindy Salvato, President & Owner, Savoring Rhode Island
- Joyce Weinberg, Owner, City Food Tours
- Meghan Sheridin, Executive Director, Vermont Fresh Network
- Sai Viswanath, Chef, DeWolf Tavern
Tasting Pavilion at the Providence Biltmore Hotel featuring regional purveyors including:
- American Honey Tasting Society
- American Lamb Board
- Coastal Extreme Brewing Company
- Ravenous Brewing
- Food Trucks In
- Johnson and Wales Univeristy
- Melting Pot Food Tours
- The Mystery Café
- Narraganett Creamery
And many more!
Culinary Tours on Sunday morning with Rhode Island’s Cindy Salvato, Newport Gourmet’s Mike Martini and A Taste of Rhode Island through the historic neighborhoods of Providence.
Food Truck Brunch on Sunday featuring some of Providence’s most popular Food Trucks, including:
- Acacia Café Food Truck
- Clam Jammers
- Noble Knots
- Panino Express Mobile Cuisine
- Rocket Fine Street Food