DEM ANNOUNCES OPENING OF FOUR WEEKLY FARMERS’ MARKETS AT STATE PARKS THIS WEEK; OTHER MARKETS OPERATED BY DEM SLATED TO OPEN IN MID-JULY
Bedding Plants, Flowers Available at Farmers’ Markets for Mother’s Day, Memorial DayPROVIDENCE – The Department of Environmental Management announces that four farmers’ markets located in state parks will open on a weekly basis beginning this week. For the first few weeks, the popular markets primarily will offer bedding plants, hanging plants, cut flowers, early vegetable crops, honey, and maple syrup. As traditional local summer crops become available, more vendors will participate. “The growth of farmers’ markets in Rhode Island has been phenomenal,” said DEM Director Janet Coit. “Last year, there were more than 50 seasonal farmers’ markets operating across Rhode Island, compared to just nine markets in 1998. With the growing demand for locally-grown products and the impressive entrepreneurial skills of Rhode Island farmers, these markets help create a more sustainable, locally-based food system that benefits the Rhode Island economy and environment. With Mother’s Day just a week away, be sure to head out to a farmers’ market to get some beautiful bedding plants and flowers – they’ll make the perfect gift!” The farmers’ markets in DEM-operated parks and market hours of operation are:
- Goddard Memorial State Park Farmers’ Market in Warwick, Fridays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. beginning on May 3.
- Colt State Park Farmers’ Market in Bristol, Fridays from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. beginning on May 3.
- Fishermen’s Memorial State Park Farmers’ Market in Narragansett, Sundays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. beginning on May 5.
- Haines Memorial State Park Farmers’ Market on Route 103 on the East Providence/Barrington line, Wednesdays from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. beginning on May 1.
- Capitol Hill Farmers’ Market in Providence, Thursdays from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. beginning on July 25.
- Pastore Complex Farmers’ Market in Cranston, Fridays from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. beginning on July 26.
- Blackstone River Visitor Center Farmers’ Market on Rt. 295 North in Lincoln, Tuesdays from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. beginning on July 23.
- Johnston Farmers’ Market at Memorial Park on Route 6 (Hartford Avenue), Mondays from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. beginning on July 29.
- State Pier Nine Farmers’ Market at State Pier Nine in Newport, Fridays from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. beginning on July 26.