On May 15, Jonathan Edwards Winery held a Culinary Showdown between five restaurants from Rhode Island and five from Connecticut. Each of the ten dishes, as well as each state, was voted on by the over 300 people in attendance. The Daniel Packer Inne in Mystic, Connecticut won favorite overall dish. The Rhode Island team took the grand prize which was $1,000 for their charity, Farm Fresh Rhode Island. The Connecticut team’s charity, Connecticut Farmland Trust, was given $500.
The participating restaurants, each paired with a local farm, and their dishes were:
From Rhode Island:
- Bistro 9, Chef Aaron Edwards & Watch Hill Farms – Poached lobster medallions with quail eggs, bottarga and champagne emulsion
- Castle Hill Inn, Chef Jonathan Cambra & Simmons Farm – Native lobster and clam thermidor with spring vegetables
- Nick’s on Broadway, Chef Derek Wagner & Blackbird Farm – Smoked barbeque braised beef short ribs with local spring vegetables, herb salad and buttermilk cornbread
- Ocean House, Chef Jennifer Backman & Schartner Farms – Gateau of Moulard duck foie gras, telicherry peppercorn sable, radish glaze, victoria rhubarb, pickled ramps, Jeffrey’s greens and truffle syrup
- Tucker’s Bistro, Chef Rick Allaire & Allen Farms – Duck rillette, pea greens, mango, mustard and braised sunflower seeds
- Azu, Chef James Wyman & Four Mile River Farm – Porchetta on house made foccaccia with parmagiano reggiano aioli, sage caramelized onions, arugula and saba.
- CW’s Chops ‘N’ Catch, Chef Cory Wry & Starlight Gardens and Beltane Farm – Goat cheese, arugula, asparagus and short rib spring roll with lobster cakes
- Daniel Packer Inne, Chef Chaz Paull & Bomster Scallops – Truffled scallops served with DPI mashed potatoes croquet, topped with black truffle citrus butter, grilled asparagus and julienne roasted tomato
- Octagon, Chef Paul Krawic & Maple Lane Farm – Pan seared Muscovy duck breast with currant marmalade and Aztec rice in a bibb lettuce wrap
- Kensington’s, Chef Daniel Chong-Jimenez & Bomster Shrimp – Royal Red Stonington Shrimp dipped in a honey-amaretto emulsion and sprinkled with toasted walnut crumbs
Jonathan Edwards Winery was pouring five of their wines to accompany the dishes: 2010 Estate Connecticut Pinot Gris, 2009 Estate Connecticut Chardonnay, Stone Table Red, 2007 Napa Valley Zinfandel and 2007 Napa Valley Petite Sirah