On Monday night March 15, 2010, a surprise party was held for Bruce Tillinghast, Chef/Owner of New Rivers in Providence, RI, to celebrate the restaurant’s twentieth birthday. When New Rivers’ Executive Chef Beau Vestal asked if I could cover the evening for posterity, of course I said yes. New Rivers is one of those rare gems of fine dining in Rhode Island. Sure, now you can’t turn a corner in Providence without walking into a fantastic restaurant. But in 1990 there were only a handful, and few have lasted twenty years, let alone twenty years of consistent excellence. So I was honored to join the party that evening, thrilled to bear witness to some of RI’s restaurant royalty as they happily extolled Bruce Tillinghast’s virtues, and also touched to see a group of food professionals—who probably don’t get together as often as they should—wax poetic. As someone who photographs some very emotional events, I can say this party for Tillinghast and his restaurant was full of warmth, laughter and an occasional tear in the corner of your eye.
- News Bites: Kids & Chefs Cook for Success, Easy Entertaining New Early Winter Menu, Harry’s Bar & Burger Opens Second Location in Providence
- News Bites: American Heart Association’s National Eating Healthy Day, Newport Restaurant Week 2014, Thirst Boston Showcases Providence Bartenders
- News Bites: Boy Scouts Collecting for the RI Community Food Bank, Pawtucket Wintertime Farmers Market Opening, JWU Program Review and Tour
- News Bites: Local Agriculture and Seafood Act Grant Program Public Hearing, Tallulah on Thames Burgers BBQ & Sunday Suppers, Providence Chefs & Bartender to Represent at StarChefs in N.Y.
- News Bites: Newport Vineyards Opens Restaurant, DEM Farm Viability Grants, Cook & Brown Public House Wins National Competition
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
@dadekian's Latest Instagram Photo:
Food Trucks In the Area
Blackbird Farm Champe Speidel chef cocktail David Dadekian DEM Department of Environmental Management Derek Wagner dinner farm Farmstead Gracie's Jake Rojas Matthew Varga Matt Jennings Melissa Denmark Newport New Rivers Nick's on Broadway Persimmon Providence restaurant Rhode Island RI wine